roland-arranger.com user club
April 19, 2014, 11:25:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: User registration is currently disabled. If you want an account, please send an e-mail to registration@roland-arranger.com. In the e-mail inform us about your desired username and e-mail address and we will create a user account for you manually. You will recieve an e-mail, when your new account has been created.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED]Guitar-sound of 'the Shadows'  (Read 4880 times)

Ludo Janssens

Belgium Belgium

My keyboard is:
E-80

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »

Hi,
I'm a brand new member of this forum. My name is Ludo, living in Belgium and I'll retire next month. I started to play guitar when I was 16 and in that time (the sixties), the Shadows were my great example. Now I'm looking on my E-50 to find a 'Shadows'-like guitar sound and, even in the extended memory, which gives me over 20 pages of guitar/bass-sounds, no single sound gives me satisfaction. I'm not talking about 'Apache', which is described in the Music Assistance, but I'm interesting in the Shadows-ballads, like Sleepwalk, Atlantis, Theme of the Deer Hunter, etc... Who can give me the correct values of 'Tone Edit' of a given guitar-sound, that results in a Shadows-sound?
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:57:23 PM by Ludo Janssens » Logged
Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:48:57 PM »

Have you checked all the OTS settings for all the styles? Some of those (although I can't remember if there is a Shadows specific style) have some pretty creative layering and effects.

Perhaps you might find something?

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
denys

Canada Canada

My keyboard is:
Roland GW8L,Yamaha PSR S910.Hammond B3.DGX 530

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:56:23 PM »

I can check on my keyboard,,just see on you tube ,,The Shadows,,and ear the sound,,,,on the video,,of course the sound is an old Fender Strat,3 position switch ( the 5 position,,different sound) and I think the AMP he use,,look like a Fender twin reverb,,,video not very clear,,anyway try to help you,,let you know.

denys
Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 12:57:31 AM »

Playing the Shadows guitar sound is more a function of HOW you play it than what SOUND you use. Without your left hand glued to the bender lever (to emulate the whammy bar/tremolo arm of the guitar) and a REALLY good command of correct guitar voicing and inflection, you could use samples of the actual Shadow's guitars and it would sound like doo. Tongue

But the correct technique on any of the clean strat or tele type electric guitar sounds, especially tied to the correct slapback echo effect, and you'll fool most listeners. Cool

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
Seamaster

United Kingdom United Kingdom

My keyboard is:
Roland E-80 v2.01

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »

This was the one stand-out voice on the original Tyros I very briefly owned.

I've always thought Roland a little weak on electric guitar sounds, although as Diki correctly points out, it's the way you play 'em that makes the difference.
Marder

Germany Germany

My keyboard is:
G70 OS 3.01 with SRX 03

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »

You'll have also some problems to find the "sound of the shadows" in a strat ->   hank marvin played burns

We gonna rock this party alive
Dreamer

Italy Italy

My keyboard is:
G-70, OS 3.0

View Profile WWW Awards

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »

Hank Marvin played Burns guitars only for a short period of his life.
Today he plays a custom made Fender Stratocaster with Kinman noiseless pickups.
More details here:

http://www.penumbra.co.nz/
Ludo Janssens

Belgium Belgium

My keyboard is:
E-80

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »

Diki,

I cannot agree with your statement 'Playing the Shadows guitar sound is more a function of HOW you play it than what SOUND you use'.
A few days ago, I had the occasion to play for 2 minutes on a PSR-700 of Yamaha, which is in the same price-category as an E-50. I selected the Guitar-family sound and on the first page of this family I could select 2 or 3 sounds, which were real 'electrical' guitar-sounds, just like I like it. I just hitted the keys, it didn't matter HOW I hitted them, it was great!!!.
On the E-50, the most electrical guitar-sounds, except the 'overdrives' and the 'distortions', sound more like a piano then like a guitar.
I've purchased my E-50 about a year ago, without comparing it with other keyboards. What a mistake!! If I knew then what I know now, I certainly would have purchased a product of Yamaha.

By the way, what OTS is standing for ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: